Brand Name: Zomato
Year of Incorporation: 2008
About: Founded in 2008 by Deepinder Goyal and Pankaj Chaddah, It currently operates in 22 countries, including India, Australia and North America. It features restaurant information such as scanned menus and photos sourced by Local Street teams, as well as user reviews and ratings. The company also provides cashless payment, online ordering, white-label apps, table reservation, and point-of-sale systems as a part of online marketing move. Zomato in a nutshell is a restaurant search directory.
- Help people discover dining places around them: The Zomato team visits every restaurants once every three months to ensure the data available on their website or app is up-to-date and fresh. They also post photos of menu card, dishes, ambiance thereby helping you to make a perfect choice for a restaurant around you.
- Building memorable experiences around dining: With over 1 million restaurants in their directory, Zomato enables a user through an online platform (Website/app) to make their dining experience memorable with online table reservations, cashless payments and order online.
Online Marketing Objective: With their headquarters in Delhi, the company has spread across 20 countries using online marketing strategies providing services to roughly over 40 million customers a month. Zomato has over 1.4 million restaurants listed on their website till 2017. Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter are three major platforms which form the base of Zomato’s online marketing success. Apart from social media, Zomato has also invested extensively in search engine marketing (SEM), search engine optimization (SEO) and also have made the user interface of their website very easy to navigate. The co-founder of Zomato Mr Pankaj Chaddah quotes “The onset of mobile applications has shown an exponential increase in our revenue.” More than 60% of their traffic comes from their well developed mobile application. He then added “Using location based services to target advertisements around a consumer’s location helps decision making easy.”
Zomato’s Facebook page has a huge engagement of customers on a daily basis, Twitter is the platform where Zomato shines with more than 1.3 million followers used as a conversation platform with customers. They answer all raised queries by the customers on time. On Pinterest they share the food experience with great content to attract their customers.
In August 2010, Zomato got its first round of funding of $1 million from Info Edge, India. And in September 2011, got its second round of funding of $3.5 million from the same financier. Next year Zomato upraised its third round of another $2.5 million from the same investor and again in early 2013, Info Edge funded fourth round worth $10 million which gives them a 57.9% stake in Zomato. Recently in a fresh round of funding in April 2015, Info Edge, India has invested an amount of Rs 155 crore in Zomato.
In February 2017, Zomato in a company’s blog had explained the concept of cloud kitchen. With its cloud kitchen, the company will help the restaurants to expand their presence without incurring any fixed costs
In September 2017, Zomato claimed that the company had “turned profitable” in the 24 countries it currently operates in. Furthermore, Zomato announced that the “zero commission model” is to be introduced for partner restaurants.
The Bottom Line:
- Being a social media Prodigy.
- Easy to navigate website.
- Investing in prolonged SEM and SEO to stay ahead of the competition.
- A perfect app designed to minimize customer’s efforts for dinning queries.